Since the inception of our Facebook group in February of 2013, Registered Dietitians, Dietetic Technicians, and Registered Dietitians-to-be have published formal statements of concern expressing their concerns about the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' corporate sponsorships and partnerships. We have made them all available here (in chronological order) for your perusal.
If you would like to submit a statement of concern, please email it to:, keeping the following guidelines in mind:
1. Think of this as a letter to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Be professional in your speech, and structure your statement in paragraph form (at least 3 paragraphs); write at least 150 words.
2. Provide 1 -3 reasons why the current sponsorship model concerns you as an RD. For each concern, provide a reason why. For example, rather than saying "these sponsorships make RDs look bad", explain how these sponsorships affect how the public perceives us.
3. Whenever possible, share personal experiences/anecdotes. Has a client questioned your advice? Have other health professionals brought up AND's corporate ties? Did you see/hear something particularly upsetting at FNCE or a state-level conference?
4. Finish off your statement with suggestions on how AND can improve its sponsorship model or how it can show its members that it cares about this issue. Think: What would my ideal AND look like?
5. We encourage you to write passionately. However, please refrain from slander and insults.
6. Please note that the page administrator may edit your statement for clarity, brevity, flow, etc. You may request to see the final version before it is published. Note, however, that if you do not ask to see the final version, it will be posted without being sent to you first.
STATEMENTS OF CONCERN ARCHIVE: