At last, we have somewhat of a sponsorship update from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- “As part of the one-year pilot, the Member Sponsorship Review Committee (MSRC) is carefully reviewing and adapting the recommendations of the Academy’s Sponsorship Advisory Task Force. Companies that are interested in becoming a National or Premier level sponsor are currently going through the MSRC pilot process.”
- “In the fall, the MSRC will submit a report to the Board of Directors containing its recommendations on the potential sponsor evaluation process and forms, including feedback from DPGs and MIGs. After submission of the MSRC’s report to the Board and the Board’s final decision, any changes or updates to the Academy’s sponsorship program will occur at that time.”
- “The MSRC has reviewed and recommended that the Board approve one new potential Academy Premier Sponsor. Information about the sponsor will be posted to the Advertising and Sponsorship section of the Academy’s website shortly.”
Two things piqued our curiosity:
1) Who is this proposed new premier sponsor?
2) Will current premier sponsor PepsiCo “pass” the pilot process? If it does, the revised sponsorship guidelines still make it easy for companies that largely profit from sugar-sweetened beverages and minimally nutritious junk foods (and that also spend millions lobbying against public health policy) to be sponsors.